Friday, April 22, 2016

PAINTING OF THE MONTH


"Golden Pond"  8" x 10" oil/linen

To purchase go to: www.rustyjonesart.com


I began this year with a commitment to create 50 plein air paintings and 10 major studio pieces. Then I looked into the corner of my studio at the stack of plein air studies I've collected over the years and realized that if I stuck to my goal I would have a whole new stack of paintings occupying cherished studio space.

I've been asked if I sell my studies and for years the answer has been "no". Most studies aren't worth selling anyway because I rarely try to finish a painting on location. I use them mostly to gather important information so if I decide to convert it to a studio version the major decisions about color, design and values have already been made. And quite honestly sometimes a painting is just better left in a small version. 

After much mental wrangling back and forth and several conversations with my galleries I have decided to begin offering my plein air paintings for sale through my website. At first they will be offered as a "Painting of the Month" then they will go to another page on my website where they will take up residence until sold or until I decide to pull them from the market completely. These will be small, affordable paintings no larger than 11" x 14" and sold unframed.

The painting at the top of this blog is the "Painting of the Month" for April. In a few days I will post a painting for May so be watching for it.

No comments: