Sunday, October 16, 2011

COASTAL PAINTOUT 2011 AWARD


















Accepting award from Port A Gallery Owner Cameron Pratt

I have just returned from a three-day paintout, artists reception, show and sale at Port A Gallery in Port Aransas, Texas. This is my fourth year to participate in the event and I am pleased to announce I won the "Artists' Choice Award" for the best body of work exhibited. I produced several paintings a day for two days and then the Quick Draw Event and show was Saturday.

I really enjoy this event each Fall. The weather is usually great and I get to paint with friends I haven't seen in a while. Cameron, Rick and Linda do a splendid job of promoting the event. Collectors come out and watch the Quick Draw and the show is always well attended.
















I the heat of battle at the Quick Draw.














"Bam Bam" 9" x 12" oil/linen

This is my Quick Draw painting. The title refers to the name of this little women's clothing boutique that is in the same shopping center as the gallery. As with many coastal villages the shops are brightly painted so mixing the purple color for the side of the building was a challenge.

I painted the shadow pattern going across the top of the roof first which turned out to be a smart move because the sun disappeared behind clouds five minutes after starting the painting and never returned.

I'll post a couple of the other paintings later in the week. An eight hour drive back has me all tuckered out.

2 comments:

Karen said...

love it!!! Sounds like you had a great time too!
Karen

Rusty Jones said...

Thanks Karen. I did. I've been going to Port Aransas since I was 8 years old. I love to fish, but painting there is a special time.