Saturday, June 11, 2011

NOT YOUR ORDINARY SHRIMPER

















"Polly Anna" 12" x 16" oil/linen

The Polly Anna is an Port Aransas icon. Built in the
back yard of skipper John Nixon, this unique looking
vessel started out as a catamaran. Nixon hauled the
the shrimper from his back yard to the harbor in two
big pieces and welded it together. After several trips
Nixon decided he didn't like the way it handled in open
water so out came the blow torch and he chopped it up,
redesigned the hull into a tri-hull configuration then
welded it back together.

Like clockwork, every morning at 9:00 a.m. you can take
your cooler right up to the captain's door where he parks the
Polly Anna in the Port Aransas harbor and buy the freshest,
plumpest shrimp found on the Texas coast. Nixon's Polly Anna is just one of the reasons I love going to this coastal location to paint.

4 comments:

Douglas Clark said...

A very nice painting. I love Port Aransas(I've been going there for over 20 years), but not all the developement going on there. I've seen the Polly Anna for years but never knew the story of it, until now.

Rusty Jones said...

I was out on the jetties finishing up a sunrise painting when the Polly Anna came by on its way back to harbor so that's where I got the photo reference. Nixon is an interesting guy and kind of a local legend.

Rick Eakins said...

Great brushwork, especially like water and birds. You're really getting those shrimp boats down.
Every painting has a story behind it and this is very interesting.

Douglas Carter, A Painting Diary said...

My favorite subject won best of show with shrimp boats. Im just starting out my painters blog.,Im wanting to cross promote with yours let me know? http://douglascarter.blogspot.com/
Thanks
Your Fan Doug