Sunday, December 19, 2010

CANYONS AND BADLANDS

















"Color Change in the Canyon" 8" x 10" oil/c

With this painting I start a new series
called "Canyons and Badlands" based on trips
I have taken over the past two years
to Big Bend, the Grand Canyon and Canyon
De Chelly. I finally had to admit to myself that
I went into a semi-funk after my one-man show
last month. After working so hard over a
period of months to create 35 worthy paintings
and then there was the high of the show weekend,
I guess it is only natural to feel a bit down
after such an event.

I took a couple of weeks off from painting (big mistake).
I sat around FaceBooking and blogging about the show
which was an important thing to do, but it kept
me away from the studio. I think my outdoor gear
hates me now. So, yesterday I started going through
pictures of my recent trips looking for something to
paint and that's when I realized how much great reference
material I have on the three canyons I've been to recently.

I did two small paintings yesterday just to see if I
still knew how to paint. Today I'm starting a larger
painting (20" x 24") and next week I hope to go even larger.
Don't know how many paintings there will be, but hey,
it gives me focus and that is apparently something I need.
Otherwise the social media thing takes over. Ironic
that I'm sitting here blogging when I have a blank
canvas screaming at me to get off my butt and start
slopping paint. Gotta go. Bad Karma to have a canvas
mad at you.

1 comment:

Susan Roux said...

Lol Go enjoy slapping paint around!