Tuesday, October 6, 2009

CANYON DE CHELLY



















"Canyon Reflected Light" 9"x12" oil/c

If you ever want to really challenge
yourself I highly recommend
Canyon De Chelly. There is light
bouncing everywhere and determining
where the light is coming from, then
deciding how it plays in the grand
scheme of the painting is a real mind
boggler. The canyon walls receive their
light from the sun above, the reflected
light from the ground and then from
other canyon walls that are near by.

I chose a simple design for this piece and
let the power of the light take over. I even
threw in a fourth light source coming
down the canyon lighting up the yellow
grass at the base. If I had chosen a
more complex design, the play of light
would have been wasted.

This piece will be available at the Whistle
Pik Miniature show next month.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Rusty, I had a blast with you and the group in CdC. Wish I could have stayed longer. Look forward to seeing ya again at the show.

Carole Abla said...

Great story! I'm glad you kept up your quest for finding a new location.....because the painting is beautiful.

Pam Holnback said...

Love your paintings. Got a kick out of the stories from near Gallup. I just got back from a painting trip to Palo Duro Canyon. Look forward to seeing your posts from there.

Rusty Jones said...

Thanks ya'll. Canyon De Chelly was lots of fun. I'm off to Port Aransas for a paintout, Quickdraw and show. Hope to post from there.

Thanks for joining my blog Pam.Check back often.